The perfect word to describe this good food dish – HOT!
A popular dish mainly from Bicol, a southern Luzon province in the Philippines, Bicol Express is one of the spiciest dish in the country. It is considered one amongst many authentic Filipino recipes.
Bicol Express is one of best chili recipes that I like. With succulent pork boiled in gata (coconut milk) with a lot of chili pepper; this dish is sure to make your palate burn and make your body sweat but wouldn’t be able to resist its taste and be asking for more.
My personal preference for this dish is a lot spicier (having the liking for spicy foods) but you can cook it according to your good taste (palate preference). If you are looking for other pork dish, try inihaw na liempo recipe or tokwat baboy recipe as these are easy to cook as well.
- 1/4 kilo pork thinly slice, thinner than a menudo cut
- 1 cup Baguio beans fava/French beans; may use string beans as alternative
- 3 cups finger chili; 2 cups finger chili/1 cup red chili pepper for spicier dish
- 1/4 cup bagoong alamang shrimp paste; rinsed and drained to lessen salty taste
- 1 piece onion minced
- 1 head garlic minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut cream optional; 1/2 cup of coconut milk as replacement
- 2 tbsps of cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put finger chili in a bowl of water and salt. Soak for 30 minutes then rinse and drain.
- In a cooking pan, heat cooking oil and saute sliced pork for a few minutes till brown. Separate.
- Saute minced garlic and onion for few minutes then add brown pork. Add bagoong alamang and saute for few minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add Baguio beans and cook until the dish gets a little dry. Add the coconut cream and simmer until the sauce thickens a little.
- Add finger chili and simmer until sauce thickens a bit more.
- Salt to taste.
We usually cook this dish without adding Baguio beans. Hence, making it a real bomber in the tongue. Enjoy Eating!
Try Bicol Express recipe and other home cooking recipes that we have. Let us know your experience and thoughts by commenting below. Kindly share our recipe post should you find it useful.