Today we will be sharing a simple Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Shepherd’s Pie or cottage pie is an English dish traditionally made with lamb. I first encountered this dish when we visited Bag of Beans Tagaytay. What my friend had back then was an American version which uses beef instead of lamb. It is typically meat casserole topped with mashed potatoes (and vegetables).
You will definitely see a lot of ways how to make Shepherd’s Pie online. One good thing about this recipe is that Shepherd’s Pie ingredients can be easily bought in your nearest supermarket without any hassles.
What we are sharing right now is an easy and simple Shepherd’s Pie recipe that uses ground beef. You can easily cook this recipe at home. Homemade recipes can be easily done with 100% ceramic cookware as well.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 1 1/2 lb potatoes peeled and quartered
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Heat 4 tbsp butter in a large frying pan until melted. Saute onions until tender over medium heat. Add the vegetables and saute for few minutes - optional.
- Add ground beef until it is no longer pink. Add the broth beef, and then add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 minutes over low heat without covering. Add more broth beef if necessary, to keep the moisture.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl, mash while adding the remaining butter, season to taste.
- Place the beef and onion in a baking dish. Better use a baking dish that may serve as your serving dish. Evenly distribute the mashed potatoes on top.
- Cook in 350 degrees F oven until bubbling and brown or about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Try cooking this simple Shepherd’s Pie recipe and let us know your experience by commenting below. Feel free to try other home cooking recipes that we have as well.